Saturday, June 19, 2010

Mamma Mia Pizza Beer

Today, god is crying because we are going to review the Pizza Beer by the Seefurth family.



The Pizza Beer is available at most liquor stores for approximately $1.50 a bottle. It comes in 16 oz. bottles. The beer is distributed by Sprecher and the ABV is unavailable at time of writing.

History

Well, this is an interesting one. The home brewery is located in Campton, IL, which is just a stone's throw from the sountheast border of Missouri. This may be quite a way from the capital city of pizza that we call Chicago, but it seems like the notion of Chicago pizza and the "can-do" attitude Chicago has been known for was the main spot of inspiration for chefs Tom and Athena Seefurth. (Hey, I said "can-do" attitude. I did not say "wacky politics". Stop thinking about that and Chicago in the same thought. Seriously.)
By the information on their website, these folks read as many brewing books and recipes as they could. By the end of it, they could that they could make good use of the abundance of tomatoes and other ingredients that would normally be found in pizzas.

Taste

Well, let's start this with the mouthfeel, color, and scent. Overall mouthfeel was well done on this one. The beer kicked things off with an initial tingle, but kept the tingle calm and left things off with a smooth feeling finish. The color was a light, clear, golden hue with practically no head at all.
Now, there was a damn good reason why I left the scent to be the last item of description before the actual taste of the brew. God in heaven help me, it smells like a pizza. I could actually smell the oregano, garlic, and tomato. I did get a crisp bitter note out of the smell towards the end of it, but still. Oh man, I was whiffing a damn pizza.

And then there was the taste. This one actually does taste like a pizza. I am not kidding. This is a pizza and little else. I could have sworn that at some point there was a bitter taste in the brew, but I could not taste it over the overwhelming pizza. And you would think that is is a good thing for a pizza beer to be tasting like pizza. I would disagree. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean that you should. I mean seriously. The label of the Pizza Beer touts it as being the "beer so good that it deserves a wine glass", but I don't think I lost anything by serving it in a plastic mug.

Food


Yeah, I feel ashamed about having even drank this. So just as you would figure, it would in fact need a pizza. But it would only be a simple chain-store pizza. So help me that if I find out you are pairing this with an actual awesome Chicago slice of pizza, I will yank that pizza out of your hand and eat it while yelling at you, spraying chunks of awesome pizza on your face.

Song


Well, this beer is one that is very lackadaisical. As well, it would be a lie to say that this beer has no Chicago influence to it. As a result of the quirky taste of this beer, it is going to have to have an equally quirky song to pair with it. I can think of no better song than "Rubber Biscuit" by The Blues Brothers. A simply fun song to pair with the beer. And no, just because I really dislike the beer, does not mean that I dislike the song. The beer rating of the beer does not reflect upon the rating of the song.

"Rubber Biscuit" by the Blues Brothers on Youtube. (offsite)


To wrap things up, this beer is going to get two ratings. The first rating will be for effort. They gave a strong attempt at making a beer that tastes like pizza, and wouldn't ya know it, that is exactly what they did. So for the effort of making a beer that tastes like pizza, they get a 10 out of a possible 10. But then we get to the matter of rating the beer itself. Like I said before, just because you can do it, does not mean you should. My pop used to own a t.v. that had a phone built into the set. You know why it didn't work? BECAUSE THE PERSON YOU WERE CALLING COULDN'T HEAR YOU OVER YOUR DAMN T.V. Seriously, you are essentially drinking an alcoholic pizza. You should not be able to drink a pizza. It might be me, but this stuff was just foul. So for the actual beer itself, it gets a 2.5 out of a possible 10.




Until the next round, make sure the only flat notes are the ones in your music, not your beer.

All photos are copyright of their respective owners. Sources cited: http://www.mammamiapizzabeer.com/main.php

No comments:

Post a Comment